Saturday, December 31, 2016

Making Your Own Frappuccino

We were never ones to stop in at Starbuck's for a coffee while on the road.  What got us connected was the Starbuck's Frappuccino that you can be in the market.  You know the four pack...


So while we were on the road last Summer, I had some time to surf the net, and I wanted to try to make my own at home.  I did end up getting everything I needed to make my own, and we have not bought a four pack of Starbucks Frappuccino since.

It's not as hard as you think.
You will need something to make a "Cold Brew".  (recipe below).
This is the French Press Cold Brew that I bought:

KONA French Press Coffee Tea & Espresso Maker, Black 34oz Glass Teapot


This is what I ended up buying.  It's easy to clean.  And for our purposes, it does not make a very large batch.  You only want to refrigerate your cold brew no longer than 1-2 weeks in the refrigerator.
From bonappetit:
Unlike hot coffee, which is pretty much crap after a few hours, cold brew will keep in your fridge. As an undiluted concentrate, it'll keep for up to two weeks, although the flavor quality will degrade after the first week. If you've cut the concentrate with water, that shortens the shelf life to a mere 2-3 days.


You will need some syrups.  Doing research I found out the the Monin Syrup contains pure cane sugar, rather than corn syrup (which is what the brand that Starbuck's uses has).
I get my Monin Syrup right from Amazon, but you can buy it in Stores also.


When my friends drop by and I offer them a Frapp, they always say 'Sure'!!




For Cold Brew Coffee, you will want to have a bold smooth bean.  From Starbuck's Site:
Coffee from Sumatra is the foundation of Starbucks most treasured blends, and something Starbucks has been honored to share with you for four decades. Body: Full Acidity: Low Processing: Semi-Washed

Recipes:

 Dark Roast Coffee (Cold Brew)
34 oz Press  (pictured above)
5 oz. Coffee - ground coarse (I use "Sumatra" ground.  Can be purchased in Supermarket, Walmart...)
3 Cups cold water

5 ounces = 2 cups of ground coffee.  Put it in the Press (fill it to 8 oz line) and add 3 cups cold water.  Stir it to make sure the grounds are incorporated.  I put the top on and push down just until it reaches the grounds.  Sit overnight in room temperature.  Press out and pour your coffee into container and refrigerate.

Salted Caramel Mocha Frappe  
1/2 Cup Cold Brew Coffee
1/2 Milk (I use Almond Milk)
Ice cubes
1 oz Monin Salted Caramel Syrup
1 oz Chocolate Syrup (I use Hershey's)
Course Salt

Top with Whipped Cream, Chocolate Syrup, Caramel Syrup, Sea Salt

Caramel Nut Iced Latte
Fill 16oz glass with ice
Add 3/4 oz Monin Caramel Sauce
4 oz cold Milk
2 oz expresso (I found some freeze dried expresso that I use @ Fresh Market)

Garnish with Whipped Cream, caramel sauce

Mocha Frappuccino
1/2 Cup Milk
2 Tablespoons chocolate syrup
1 Tablespoon granulated syrup
1/3 Cup strong coffee
1 Cup Ice

Mocha Frappuccino
72 calories for 2 Cups
2 Cups strong Coffee
1/4 Almond Milk
2 Tablespoons Cocoa Powder
1 Tablespoon Vanilla Extract
Pinch Sea Salt
Whipped Cream

Combine in a blender for 1 minute.  Add 1 or 2 scoops ice and puree another minute.  Add Whipped Cream

Skinny Vanilla Mocha Frappe
50 calories
8 coffee ice cubes (approx. 1 cup) (ice cubes made with coffee)
single shot Expresso (use the freeze dried if you don't have an expresso machine)
1/2 Cup Skim Milk
2 teaspoon pure Vanilla Extract
2 teaspoon Cocoa Powder - unsweetened
1 packet sugar substitute


No comments:

Post a Comment

4 Dishes from the Pacific Rim

These recipes are from the book Pacific Light Cooking, by Ruth Law.  They are carefully crafted recipes that are light.  Nutritional data is...