Sunday, September 11, 2016

The Homestead

Here are some pictures of our home in Florida.  I thought it might be nice to share with everyone, as you followed us on our 3 1/2 month adventure, and your company was so important to us, when we were so far from our home.  So here's some shots, and some narrative on what I have been up to.
So here's the house
(Below) This is what you see, looking toward the front door from the eating area of the kitchen.
Foyer, Dining Room & Formal Living Room
Foyer

Formal Living Room

(Below) Formal Living Room
Some of the goodies we brought back with us from New Mexico
(Below) Entering the Eating Area from the Formal Living Room
Sheila's Kitchen
(Below) We eat our dinner here every night.  We got the vase & placemats in Colorado
I had time to kick back on the road, and I had some organizational ideas for my kitchen.  Here is a Coffee Station.  Purchased the Coffee Pod & Condiment Assessory Holder on Amazon.  I make my frappuccino, homemade cold brew coffee and Ice Tea.  I needed everything easily within reach.  The basket I bought in Indiana, made by the Amish.  Those are packets of loose tea in it.  I also put the wooden coffee stirers (Amazon), sugar pkts, and packets of "Emergen-C" (dietary supplement) which I use each day in my Smoothie for breakfast.  There is a drawer in it that houses k-pods.  
I put Olive Oil, Red Wine Vinegar and Sherry in plastic squeeze bottle, for ease when cooking.

Dog bones, Rice Maker, Rice and Ground Flax Seed next to the Blender for my Smoothies
Organized the Spices
Been looking for bags for this holder for a very long time.  Found them on the Internet.  I bought this green bag holder years ago.  It says "Bag Well" on it.  Put the bag in, get on with making your meal, and all scraps and whatever just get thrown in the bag along the way.  Saves alot of steps to the trash.
This Cuisinart Indoor Rotisserie did not come with a Users Manual.  So I didn't use it.  Tried it a couple times, but never knew what temp, and for how long.  While on the road, kicking back...I remembered, and I tracked it down on the Internet.  Now, I will use it.  

This is our Family Room

I moved my desk from the extra bedroom out to the lanai.  I don't know why it took me 2 years to think of this.....much better view, and a happier place to be.
So there you have it.  Our Homestead.  I've been busy cooking up a storm since I got home.  So far, in the past 10 days since we landed home I have made:
Creamy Italian Salad Dressing
Whole Chickens in the Crock Pot (I save the carcasses, and this week I will make my own stock).
Country Style Pork & Beans (Crockpot)
Bolognese Sauce (Crockpot)
Hamburger Steak 
Herbed Rice & Pasta Pilaf

I don't make many recipes repeatedly.  But one I do make is a classic meatloaf recipe that I discovered in a meatloaf contest on the Cooking channel a few years ago.  It's excellent.  I made that last Friday.
This week I'm going to make:
Beef Goulash (Crockpot)
Black Bean Salad 
Smothered Pork Chops (Crockpot)
Pear Crisp
Salmon Salad (I make this for my lunch.  Barefoot Contessa recipe).

I'd be happy to share any recipe with you.  You know where to find me...in the kitchen.  































No comments:

Post a Comment

4 Dishes from the Pacific Rim

These recipes are from the book Pacific Light Cooking, by Ruth Law.  They are carefully crafted recipes that are light.  Nutritional data is...