Wednesday, December 21, 2016

Who Said You Had To Be Italian To Understand The Language?

Somewhere in my travels, I copied something from a magazine.  It was an advertisement for Ferrari-Carano Vineyards and Winery.  I collect many recipes, and I don't know if I'll ever make them all in my lifetime.  Today, I made this one.

My advertisement reads...
"Who said you had to be Italian to understand the language?
Ferrari-Carano wines are carefully crafted in California's Dry Creek Valley, but it's their Italian heritage that lies at the core of the wine.  From the visitor-favorite Villa Fiore Shop and Enoteca to the savory Italian-inspired dishes that bring the wines' essence to life, Ferrari-Carano exudes Italian luxury from the inside out."

It also says..."don't miss Ferrari-Carano at this year's Vegas Uncork'd by Bon Appe'tit!  Learn more at vegasuncorked.com. "
This recipe came from Rhonda Carano's Kitchen.

I just recently read all the information on the San Marzono Tomatoes.  Better yet, I have learned about the D.O.P. tomatoes.  What is a DOP Tomato?  All these years, and I never paid attention.  Now I will for sure.

Shortly after I learned about these tomatoes, we went down to Naples for a week.  We went to DeRoma's Deli and right before my eyes, they had the exact brand I had been learning about.  There are other brands that are also D.O.P. San Marzono Tomatoes, carrying the stamp.  One is Cento Brand.
 I am convinced the reason this recipe was exceptionally good, is because I used the Poma Rosa San Marzano  brand of tomatoes.  After doing a long search I learned that Amazon does not carry the Poma brank, and there were only a few Gourmet Markets that carried it and had a online shopping section.  Don't make the mistake of the "Rosa".  It's not the same brand as the "Poma Rosa".






Rigatoni With Sausage and Mushrooms
Serves 4

2 Cups chicken broth
1 cup dried porcini mushrooms
2 Tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
1 medium white onion, finely chopped
3 cloves garlic, finely chopped
2 sweet Italian sausages, casings removed, crumbled
1 Tbsp. Marsala wine
2 cups plum tomatoes, peeled and chopped with juice
1 tsp dried marjoram
1/2 tsp dried thyme
1 bay leaf
Salt and Pepper
1 Tbsp. unsalted butter
1/2 cup freshly grated Pecorino Romano cheese
Handful of chopped parsley
Make sure it's Marsala wine!  I used Publix brand in the cooking oil section of the market
I find the dried Porcini mushrooms off to the back or side in the produce section of the market.  This is what they look like.  



In small pan, heat chicken broth to a boil.  Take off stove, add porcini mushrooms, cover with lid to soften mushrooms.  Meanwhile, heat the olive oil in a large skilled over medium heat.  Add the onion and garlic, fry until transparent.  Add sausages and saute' until golden brown.  Remove porcini mushrooms from broth with strainer, reserving chicken/mushroom liquid.

Chop mushrooms and add to skillet with rest of ingredients.  Add the Marsala wine, stir to allow to evaporate before adding tomatoes and 1 cup of the reserved chicken/mushroom broth.  Add marjoram, thyme, bay leaf, salt, and pepper to taste.

Lower heat and continue to cook, covered, for another 30 minutes, or until sauce is reduced.  Meanwhile cook the rigatoni according to package instructions.  When done, strain pasta in a colander.  Add pasta to large skillet and stir pasta with sauce, adding butter.  Remove bay leaf.
Make sure you use Pecorino Romano Cheese


Add cheese and chopped parsley, transfer to a warmed serving platter and serve immediately.








No comments:

Post a Comment

4 Dishes from the Pacific Rim

These recipes are from the book Pacific Light Cooking, by Ruth Law.  They are carefully crafted recipes that are light.  Nutritional data is...