Friday, February 17, 2017

Zuppa Alla Paesana (Lentil Soup)

I found myself some info on the name of this recipe, Zuppa means Soup.
Any time you see Italian dishes described as alla contadinaalla paesana, alla campagnola………do we really know what is meant by these terms?
These all translate as of the peasantry – peasant style –  and as those who live on the land would cook these dishes. They imply to be dishes that are healthy, nourishing, unsophisticated, hearty, country-style and as cooked at home.

This recipe came from a cookbook called The Chicken and the Egg Cookbook.  It has been my go to cookbook for the last 37 years.  I used it constantly the first 10 years.  I was so happy to see that you can still purchase it.  At Amazon, I see they have a "used" one (1981 copyright) for $0.01 plus $3.98 for shipping....and they have a new on for $76.18!!.  Funny.  I am on my second one, as I used up my first one to the point where it was falling apart.  But I replaced it a good 12 years ago now, with a used one.    
I changed up the recipe a bit, my changes are in blue font

1 pound of dry lentils, rinsed, soaked in water for 5 hours, drained, then cooked covered, in salted water at a simmer for 45 minutes, or until tender.  (I just simmered my lentils with the cover vented, in my homemade chicken broth (1 1/2 qts.) for 20 minutes, no soaking at all.  I only put in 3/4 lb. of lentils, as I thought 1 lb. was too many.).

1 Tbs. olive oil
1 Tbs. butter
8 anchovy fillets, drained and mashed
2 celery ribs (with leaves) scraped & chopped
1 clove garlic, minced
1 Tbs. chopped broadleaf parsley
4 tomatoes, seeded and diced
1 1/2 quarts of chicken broth
2 cups of water (I only added 1 cup)
1/2 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. pepper
1/2 cup small pasta shells, cooked, al dente and drained (next time I'll cook up 3/4 cup instead)
1 cup grated Asiago or Parmesan cheese

In a large pot, over medium heat, heat the olive & butter.  Stir in the anchovies, celery, garlic and parsley.  Cook for 4 minutes, or until celery is soft.  Add the tomatoes, broth, water, salt & pepper.  Bring to a boil, lower heat and simmer, uncovered for 25 minutes.  Add the lentils and simmer for 10 minutes.  Stir in the pasta.  Serve in heated bowls and pass the grated cheese.

(so I cooked my lentils in my homemade chicken broth.  Sauteed the anchovies, celery, garlic and parsley and put it into the broth when the lentils were cooked thru, then added tomatoes, water, salt & pepper.  Added the cooked pasta.)

For the Chicken Stock, I had collected 4 small Chicken carcasses, and I had about 4 neck bones in a separate bag, that had not been cooked)
The recipe I followed is from Cook's Illustrated




MAKES ABOUT 3 QUARTS

This stock is great to use in our recipe for Matzo Ball Soup (see related content) or in any of our recipes calling for chicken broth. You can freeze chicken carcasses one at a time until you have the 2 1/2 pounds needed for this recipe; three to four rotisserie chicken carcasses or one 6-pound roaster carcass will weigh about 2 1/2 pounds. This recipe was developed using bones from cooked chicken.

INGREDIENTS

  • 3quarts water
  • 2 1/2pounds roasted chicken bones
  • 1onion, chopped
  • 2carrots, peeled and cut into 1-inch chunks
  • 2celery ribs, chopped
  • 1teaspoon black peppercorns
  • 1teaspoon salt
  • 1bay leaf










INSTRUCTIONS

 
  1. 1. Place all ingredients in slow cooker. Cover and cook on high for 8 to 10 hours.
    2. Let stock cool slightly, then strain through fine-mesh strainer set over large bowl. Use immediately or let cool completely, then refrigerate until cold. (When cold, surface fat will solidify and can be easily removed with spoon.) Stock will keep, refrigerated, for up to 5 days, or frozen for up to 2 months.



No comments:

Post a Comment

4 Dishes from the Pacific Rim

These recipes are from the book Pacific Light Cooking, by Ruth Law.  They are carefully crafted recipes that are light.  Nutritional data is...