Saturday, May 27, 2017

Hostetler's Hudsons Auto Museum - Shipshewana, Indiana

760 South VanBuren
Shipshewana, IN  46565
(260) 768-3021
www.hostetlershudsons.com


"The most complete collection of Unusual Hudsons in the world"
Eldon & Esta Hostetler

 How and Why I Got Interested In Collecting Hudson Cars...When I was 14 years old in 1936, Irwin Yoder, who worked for my father in the fall to harvest corn, came back from following the wheat harvest out west driving a new 1936 Hudson Terraplane, four-door sedan.  This car was equipped with semi-automatic shifting next to the steering wheel.  The car was two-tone brown, beautiful beyond words....I was allowed to drive this car several times while going to different farms.  The car did nothave a long shift lever of the floor that had to be moved back and forth.  This was something I never forgot.  When I turned 18 my grandfather loaned me enough money to purchase a 1938 Hudson with the same shifting setup. .. 



...I grew up on a big farm, and stayed home until I turned 21. In 1942 I traded the 1938 Hudson for a used 1940 Commodore Eight.  After leaving the farm I went to work for Creighton Brothers for three years.  Creighton Brothers was the largest egg-producing farm in the USA.  They were located near Warsaw Indiana.



...Born with a mechanical aptitude, I saw a big need for an automatic feeding and watering system for fowls. I started developing these products after leaving Creighton Brothers.  To date, I have had over 60 patents issued covering these developments.  Today most of the patents have expired, but are copied all over the world feeding all kinds of animals and birds.


...I drove only Hudsons during the time I was designing and selling automatic equipment.  The following Hudsons are the ones I purchsaed new:  1948; 1949, 1950, 1952 and a 1954.  Many of these cars I drove at 100 miles per hour.


...In 1977 I started a company which made a totally enclosed watering system.  The company had done very well which has allowed me to collect and restore unusual Hudson cars that they made in the years they were in production.  I have Hudson cars dating from 1090 to 1956.

















1952 Pickup









1933 Terraplane Convertible


1929 Convertible Coupe





















No comments:

Post a Comment

4 Dishes from the Pacific Rim

These recipes are from the book Pacific Light Cooking, by Ruth Law.  They are carefully crafted recipes that are light.  Nutritional data is...